Do not travel if you are sick. Do not travel if, in the past two weeks, you have tested positive, or have had a close contact with someone who has COVID-19.
Students, faculty and staff who plan to travel after or during Fall break or for the holidays should take special precautions to ensure that they protect themselves and others.
While it is not necessary to quarantine before or after travel, it is important to take extra precautions to prevent the spread of the virus.
Protect yourself and others
- Consider getting tested several days before you go (link to where to get tested)
- Wear a mask, including while in all public spaces such as airports and transportation stations
- Avoid touching surfaces such as turnstiles, ticket scanners, kiosks, elevator buttons, seats and benches
- If you must touch surfaces, wash your hands for 20 seconds with soap and water as soon as you can or rub your hands with a sanitizer containing at least 60 percent alcohol
- Maintain at least 6 feet between yourself and others as much as possible. Look for floor decals or signs to help you space yourself apart from others. Avoid standing in groups, such as at bus or train stops
- Don’t ride in a small space, such as a taxi, with others who are not wearing a mask, and limit the number of people in a vehicle as much as possible
- When you arrive at your destination, wash your hands or use a hand sanitizer
- When possible, such as when traveling by car, open windows or set the air conditioning setting to the non-recirculation mode to improve ventilation
- Disinfect surfaces in personal vehicles before and after a trip
- Air inside of an airplane is filtered to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. However, physically distancing inside of an airplane can be challenging, which increases your risk of exposure.
Take a travel kit
Pack a small kit that you keep within reach while traveling by airplane, car, rideshare, bus or train
- Hand sanitizer that is at least 60 percent alcohol
- Disinfectant wipes
- If possible, bring your own food, snacks and water
- A few extra masks in a plastic bag that seals